Max Planck Institute of Software Systems
Address: Room 438, MPI-SWS
Campus E 1 4
- 2014-present PhD Student
- Max Planck Institute for Software Systmes, Germany
- PhD, Computer Science, Research Interests: Social Networks, Data Mining, Graph Theory, and Recommender Systems
- Advisor: Krishna Gummadi and Manuel Gomez Rodriguez
- 2008-2011 M.Sc. in Artificial Intelligent
- Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, Department of Computer Engineering
- M.S., Computer Science, Major: Artificial Intelligence Present.
- Thesis Topic : Studying the Effect of Structure and the Effects of Personalities on Spreading Information and Behaviors in Social Networks (20/20) (pdf)
- Advisor: Dr. Mohammadali Safari
- GPA: 17.5/20 (last year's GPA:19.25/20)
- Major courses: Advanced Network (18 / 20), Image Processing (17.5 / 20), Pattern Recognition (18 / 20), Neural Network (20 / 20), Digital Signal Processing(18/20), thesis(20/20)
- 2004-2008 B.Sc. in Software Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) Department of University of Tehran
- Thesis Topic: Analysis & Enhancement of Multimedia Traffic in Wimax Network
- Advisor: Dr. Ahmad Khonsari
- TOTAL GPA: 15.13/20 (~3.1 / 4) (Among top 20% of the highest GPAs) GPA in Major(16.3/20)
- Major courses: Advanced Programming (18 / 20), Statistics and Probability (18 / 20), Data Structure (20 / 20), Advanced Algorithm Design (18/ 20), Simulation (18 / 20), Microprocessor (19 / 20)
- 2000-2004 Allameh Helli High School and Pre-University Center, Tehran, Iran
- Allameh Helli is the Tehran branch of the NODET, "National Organization for Development of Exceptional Talents"
- Pre-University GPA: 19.9/20 (~4/4)
- Diploma GPA: 19.21/20 (~3.94)
- Research Visitor, Max Planck Institute of Software Systems (MPI), Saarbrucken, Germany, Sept. Oct. 2013
Modeling the behavior of users in twitter who use url services or use convention for retweeting. joint work with Krishna Gummadi,Manuel Gomez Rodriguez, Isabel Valera
- Research Visitor, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Tech., Daejeon , South Korea, Feb. Aug. 2013
Researched on Human Computer Interaction, Social Supporting Feed System on OSN. Analysis of social activity in OSNs in order to (a) understand the structure and evolution of social network graphs, and (b) understand how content and information propagates through social networks. Continue the joint collaboration with Micheal Macy, Krishna Gummadi and Winter Mason.
Also, Study of large and complex networks, especially online social networks and analyzing the social interactions and collective behavior of hundreds of millions of people in these networks. I worked closely with Prof. Michael Macy (Cornell University) Meeyoung Cha (KAIST) and Winter A.Mason (Facebook) during my research.
- Research Assistant, Digital Media Laboratory, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran,Iran, April June 2012 Researched on Cascaded failure in weighted networks
- Research Assistant, Complex Network Laboratory, Sharif Univ. of Tech., Tehran, Iran, Sept. 2009 March 2012 Researched on diffusion patterns, combinatorial optimization Worked on problems related to Cascading failure tolerance of networks (IEEE TCASII), Cascaded failure in weighted networks (Phys. Rev. E 2011), Immunization of social network (Europhys. Lett. 2011), and Marketing strategies over social networks (SNAM 2012).
- Research Assistant, Institute for Research in Fundamental Sciences (IPM), Tehran, Iran, Sept. 2007 Sept. 2009 Researched on Wimax Netwroks, Embedded Systems(ATS 2011).
- WSDM Student Travel Scholarship, 2016
- Visiting scholar s fellowship from Max Planck Institute for Software Systems (MPI-SWS), Sept. 2013.
- Visiting scholar s fellowship from Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Tech. (KAIST), Feb. 2013.
- Ranked 22th, among more than 13,000 participants in National M.Sc. Entrance Examination in Computer Engineering, 2009.
- M.Sc. fellowship of Excellent Student in Computer Engineering from University of Tehran, 2009.
- Selected as top 0.1% out of more than 400,000 participants in National University Entrance Examination for the B.Sc. degree, 2004.
- Semifinalist of Iranian National Olympiad in Informatics (INOI), 2002. (Selected as top 1.5% of more than 40000 participants)
- Journal and Conference Article
- 1. Przemyslaw Grabowicz, Mahmoudreza Babaei Juhi Kulshrestha, Krishna P. Gummadi and Ingmar Weber, The Road to Popularity: the Dilution of Growing Audience on Twitter ,
To Appear in (ICWSM), 2015 (short paper).
- 1. Mahmoudreza Babaei Przemyslaw Grabowicz, Isabel Valera, Krishna P. Gummadi and Manuel Gomez-Rodriguez, On the Efficiency of Information Networks in Social Media,
To Appear in Proceedings of the 9th ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM), San Francisco, CA, February 2016.
- 2. Mahmoudreza Babaei, Przemyslaw A. Grabowicz, Isabel Valera, Manuel Gomez-Rodriguez, On the Users Efficiency in the Twitter Information Network has been accepted at ICWSM 2015! (short paper,22.03.15) (pdf)
- 3. Mahmoudreza Babaei, K. Gummadi, M. Macy, M. Cha, W. Mason, Convention Emergence on Online Social Networks. Under preparation.
- 4. M.Babaei,B. Mirzasoleiman, M. Jalili, M. Safari Revenue Maximization in Social Networks through Discounting, Social Network Analysis and Mining (2012): 1-14
- 5. B. Mirzasoleiman, M. Babaei, M. Jalili, Immunizing Complex Networks with Limited Budget, Europhysics Letters, 2012. 98(3):38004. (Impact Factor = 2.753)
- 6. B. Mirzasoleiman, M. Babaei, M. Jalili, M. Safari, Cascaded Failures in Weighted Networks, Physical Review E, 2011. 84(4):046114. (Impact Factor = 2.352)
- 7. M. Babaei, H. Ghasemieh, and M.Jalili, Cascading failure tolerance of modular small-world networks. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-II, 2011. 58(8):527-531.(Impact Factor = 1.41)
- Teaching Assistance: Game Theory, Sharif University of Technology, 2011
- Teaching Assistance: Complex Network, Sharif University of Technology, 2010
- Teaching Assistance: Game Theory, Sharif University of Technology, 2009
- Teaching Assistance: Discrete Mathematics, University of Tehran, 2008
- Teaching Assistance: Design of Compiler, university of Tehran, 2007
- Teaching Assistance: Advanced Algorithm Design, university of Tehran, 2007
- Teaching Assistance: Design of Compiler, university of Tehran, 2007
- Teaching Assistance: Discrete Mathematics, University of Tehran, 2007
- Teaching Assistance: Data Structure, University of Tehran, 2006
- Teaching Assistance: Advanced Programming, University of Tehran,2006
- Teaching Assistance: Discrete Mathematics, University of Tehran, 2006
- Teaching Assistance: Discrete Mathematics, University of Tehran, 2005
- Analyzing the speed of spread of information in all network models, 2010
- Simulating all cascading failure on all network models, 2010
- Analyzing the convergence of a social network to accept the information by Game theory modeling, 2009
- Compiler Implementation for the PCAT programming language, 2007
- A Full Business Plan for a Comprehensive SMS Service Plan, 2007
- A simple DBMS system (with b-tree, B+ tree and extendible hash indices), 2006
- An Automatic Magazine Advertisement Arrangement Project , 2006(Awarded)
- A Linux-Based Strategic Game, Summer, 2005
- Intelligent Decision Making Components for Othello, Nibbles
- Revenue Maximization in viral marketing Sharif University of Technology,2011
- Local Distributed Algorithms, Theory Group, Sharif University of Technology, 2010.
- Cascading failure in networks, Sharif University Technology, 2010.
- Social Economic Networks, social network study group, 2010.
- Programming Languages:
Pascal, C, C++, C#, Java, HTML, PHP, SQL, Perl, Verilog, Assembly.
- Operating Systems:
Mac OSX, Linux, Windows (XP and 2000)
- Developing algorithms with experiences in many algorithm competitions
- Other Tools:
- Human Languages:
Farsi (Native), English (Fluent)
- Social Science
- Soccer, Basketball, Swimming