What? PLERG is a weekly discussion of selected papers from the programming languages research community. It's
stolen from inspired by CMU's concertrg.
Who? The reading group is open to all students interested in programming languages research. Students from elsewhere (i.e. MPI-SWS interns) are also welcome,
but people with PhDs already are generally not and postdocs are welcome, too.
When/Where? We'll meet on Tuesdays from 13:30 to 15:00ish over the video conference system.
The mailing list for the group is named plerg; email Scott to join. There is also a short document describing the format of the discussions.
- 14 Nov 2012 - Benjamin C. Pierce and David N. Turner, Local type inference, TOPLAS, 2000. (2-up pdf)
- 04 Oct 2012 - Joshua Dunfield, A Unified System of Type Refinements (Chapter 2), PHD thesis, 2007. (2-up pdf)
- 16 Aug 2012 - Timothy G. Griffin, A formulae-as-type notion of control, POPL, 1990.
- 09 Aug 2012 - Olivier Danvy and Andrzej Filinski, A functional abstraction of typed contexts, Technical Report DIKU Rapport 89/12, 1989. (2-up pdf)
- 31 Jul 2012 - Dorai Sitaram and Matthias Felleisen, Control delimiters and their hierarchies, Lisp and Symbolic Computation, 1990. (2-up pdf)
- 24 Jul 2012 - Andreas Abel, Type-Based Termination, Inflationary Fixed-Points, and Mixed Inductive-Coinductive Types, Invited Talk, Fixed Points in Computer Science (FICS), 2012. (2-up pdf)
- 17 Jul 2012 - David Turner, Total Functional Programming, Journal of Universal Computer Science, 2004. (2-up pdf)
- 06 Jul 2012 - Andrew D. Gordon, A Tutorial on Co-induction and Functional Programming, Glasgow FP Workshop, 1994. (2-up pdf)
- 01 Jun 2012 - Andrew K. Wright and Matthias Felleisen, A Syntactic Approach to Type Soundness, Information and Computation 115 (1).
- 24 Apr 2012 - Nick Benton and Philip Wadler, Linear logic, monads and the lambda calculus, LICS, 1996.
- 12 Mar 2012 - Herman Geuvers and G. I. Jojgov, Open Proofs and Open Terms: a Basis for Interactive Logic, Computer Science Logic, 2002. (2-up pdf)
- 29 Feb 2012 - A. Appel, P-A. Melliès, C. Richards, and J. Vouillon, A very modal model of a modern, major, general type system, POPL 2007.
- 16 Feb 2012 - Neel Krishnaswami and Nick Benton, A semantic model for graphical user interfaces, ICFP 2011.
- 19 Jan 2012 - Conal Elliott and Paul Hudak, Functional reactive animation, ICFP 1997.
- 12 Jan 2012 - Robert Harper, Practical Foundations for Programming Languages, Ch. 20: Girard's System F, draft 25/12/2011.
- 22 Dec 2011 - Roshan P. James and Amr Sabry, Information effects, POPL 2012.
- 15 Dec 2011 - Per Martin-Löf, On the Meanings of the Logical Constants and the Justifications of the Logical Laws (The Siena Lectures), 1983.
- 1 Dec 2011 - Frank Pfenning, Constructive Logic, Ch. 3 Proofs as Programs, 2000.
- 23 Nov 2011 - Philip Wadler and Stephen Blott, How to make ad-hoc polymorphism less ad hoc, POPL, 1989.
- 16 Nov 2011 - Gerard Huet, Functional Pearl: The Zipper, JFP, 1997. (2-up pdf)
- 2 Nov 2011 - Andrew W. Appel, SSA is functional programming, 1998 and George C. Necula, Proof-carrying code, POPL 1997.
- 20 Oct 2011 - Philip Wadler, Monads for functional programming, 1995.
- 13 Oct 2011 - Lennart Augustsson, Cayenne -- a language with dependent types, ICFP 1998.
Ideas for Topics
Functional reactive programming (FRP)
- Bidirectional typechecking